17
Mar

Chesterton – St. Giles.

   Posted by: churches   in Stratford-upon-Avon District, Warwickshire

St. Giles - Chesterton St. Giles - Chesterton

The parish church of St. Giles, Chesterton, is mostly of an early C14 Decorative design, with some remnants of an earlier C13 church. The church itself is in an isolated field some distance from the village, but near to the old Peytos mansion that was pulled down in 1802. Its isolation makes the inscription on the sundial strange, as there were hardly ever anyone around to loiter.

Porch, St. Giles, Chesterton South door, St. Giles, Chesterton chesterton 28022009-34

The porch is c1400, leading to an early C13 south doorway carved with ballflowers. To the east is an early C14 priest doorway.

Norman font, St. Giles, Chesterton St. Giles, Chesterton War Memorial, St. Giles, Chesterton

Inside is the door is a C13 font with a tapering round bowl. The church itself is long and narrow consisting of nave and chancel, without any division between the two. The blocked north door is probably the oldest part of the church being a remnant of the earlier C12 building. It used to be the entrance used by the Peyto family and now incorporates a memorial to the 1914-1918 war.

South chancel window, St. Giles, Chesterton Stained glass, St. Giles, Chesterton North chancel window, St. Giles, Chesterton

The North and South chancel window are c1330 inset with Victorian stained glass, the north window incorporates some fragments of C15 glass, the south window is from the Hardman Studios Birmingham (1890). The large window in the south wall of the nave is C15 with modern stained glass.

Piscina, St. Giles, Chesterton Monument by Nicholas Stone, St. Giles, Chesterton Monument by John Stone, St. Giles, Chesterton

The chancel also contains a modern piscina inserted into C14 image niche with a ribbed vaulted soffit and crocket enrichment. At the west end of the church are Baroque memorial monuments to the Peyto family. The first memorial is to William Peyto, 1619, and his wife Eleanor, was commissioned from by the Sculptor and Architect Nicholas Stone at a cost of £150. The second memorial is to Edward Peyto 1643 and Elizabeth his wife. The busts are set on a pedestal flanked by shafts of dark marble with white Corinthian capitals. This monument was made by John Stone the son of Nicholas Stone, and designer of the old mansion.

Alabaster tomb, St. Giles, Chesterton Alabaster tomb, St. Giles, Chesterton

Detail alabaster tomb, St. Giles, Chesterton Detail alabaster tomb, St. Giles, Chesterton

On the south wall is a late C16 alabaster tomb of Humfrey Peyto (d 30 March 1585), and Anne his wife. The date of Anne’s death (1604) is not recorded on the tomb. The tomb was made by craftsmen in Burton-on-Trent, which by the end of C16 had become the centre for work of this type having supplanted those of Nottingham.

Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite PicLens

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 17th, 2009 at 11:41 pm and is filed under Stratford-upon-Avon District, Warwickshire. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.

Comments are closed at this time.