Archive for December, 2009
Largely rebuilt in 1896 by the architect Bassett Smith in C14 style. Holy Trinity retains some features from C13 particularly the door and bay arches in the south aisle. The tower is C15 and built from Lias Limestone.
A large part of the manor of Churchover was owned by Kennilworth Priory the rents amounting to £4 12s 8d at the time of the Dissolution which was sold to William Dixwell. Other parcels of land were once part of the Combe Abbey estate and after the Dissolution of the Monasteries these reverted to the Duchess of Richmond who then sold the land to the tenant William Dixwell.
The west wall of the south aisle has a large monument to Robert Price (d1595) his wife (Mary), and her parents (Humphrey and Ann Dixwell). The two couples are kneeling and facing each other with their children underneath.
In a similar style to the earlier monument in the south aisle, this monumnet in the north aisle is dedicated to monument to Charles Dixwell (d1591) and his wife Abigail (d1635) and their four children William. Edgar, Humphrey, Basil, and Barbara. The style is very similar to the moment in the north aisle dedicated to Robert Price. It also consists of a couple kneeling, with their children below.
One family member John Dixwell the younger son of Edward (Edgar?) Dixwell, was raised by his uncle Basil Dixwell of Brome Kent. John became a lawyer and joined the Kent county committee and was a captain in the Kent militia. In 1646 he was elected to the Long Parliament as MP for Dover. In 1649 he was one of the 59 signatories of King Charles’s Death Warrant. Following the Restoration of the Monarchy, John Dixwell, fled to New Haven Conneticut where he lived under the name of James Davids.
The font is C12 an inverted cone with roll-moulding on the bottom edge, the cover is Jacobean and dated 1675. The east window is dated 1918 by Arild Rosenkrantz.Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite