Archive for March, 2010

15
Mar

Baginton – St. John the Baptist.

   Posted by: churches    in Warwick district, Warwickshire

St. John the Baptist - Baginton St. John the Baptist - Baginton
Built of red sandstone and dates from the early C13. In consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle and double north aisle. The outer north aisle is probably mid to late C13.

The bell turret and spire that rises above the east wall of the nave is probably the reason for the chancel arches, which would have been needed to support the weight. The arches are actually three narrow arches and deep enough such that there are actually east and west arches. Inside the chancel arches there are remains of C14 or C15 paintings of flowers and rosettes.

Campion monument - Baginton Bromley monument - Baginton St. John the Baptist - Baginton

There are a number of monuments including a large classical style wall monument of 1632 dedicated to Elen Campion, and others from the C18 to members of the Bromley family. There is also some early fragments of stained glass from the C15.

Brass monument to William Bagot Upper detail of William Bagot brass

The main monument however is the Bagot brass of 1407. This is dedicated to William Bagot, one of Richard II’s councilors at the time of his disposition and abdication to Henry IV.

Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite PicLens
13
Mar

Radway – St. Peter.

   Posted by: churches    in Stratford-upon-Avon District, Warwickshire

St. Peter - Radway radway

Built from Hornton stone in 1866 by C. Buckeridge with a west tower and broached spire. The present church of St. Peter replaces a small medieval church that was located at the other end of the village.

No records remain as to when the earlier church was built, it was certainly after 1086 as there is no record of it in the Doomsday Book. However, when it was demolished in 1865 a Norman piscina was discovered in its foundations.

A number of monuments and pieces of glass were moved from the old church to the new. Including the effigy of Captain Henry

Monument to Captain Kingsmill Effigy of priest c1450

Kingsmill, who was killed at Edgehill on Sunday, 23 October 1642. This was the first pitch battle of the English Civil War. The inscription is on an adjacent slate slab, noting that the monument was erected by his mother Lady Bridgett in 1670.

In the north wall of the chancel is an effigy a headless priest (c1450), wearing the vestments for saying mass, his feet resting on a dog.

Merciless Servant
Merciless Servant

The east window of the south aisle has four C17 Dutch panels two of which tell the story of the merciless servant (Matthew, chapter 18). The first panel shows him throttling the debtor that owed him 100 pence, the second panel shows him being carried off to prison.

radway 28
radway 31

Another panel depicts a king with his retainers and before him a bound, half-naked prisoner, the inscription ios of no help in deciphering this ‘Adam and Eva ware begiled off the serpent’.

The last panel is two archers, one shooting, the other receiving a cake from a serving man at the door of a kitchen in the background. The inscription here reads ‘The Samaritā set him on his hors and brought him to an inn’.

All of these panels are reputed to have come from a Dorset farm house and were given to Sanderson Miller who originally intended for them to be placed in the octagonal tower at the top of Edgehill.

Stained glass by William Nichol - Radway Annunciation Sower

The north aisle contains some contemporary stained glass work, one by William Nichol dedicated to Major Richard Corfield (2004). The other is an ‘Annunciation’ and dedicated to Victor Gibbins (1995). The south aisle has glass depicting the ‘sower’.

Sower detail - radway East window - radway

The east window has a representation of the ”Ascension’.

Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite PicLens

Tags: , , , , ,