Archive for February, 2009
The parish church of St Margaret of Antioch was rebuilt and extended in the 14th and 15th centuries incorporating elements from an earlier 12th century church.
The Romanesque sandstone font has a base of three crouching figures supporting a circular bowl with a bead decoration.
During the 14th century Sir Thomas de Astley had the chancel, nave arcades, and north aisle rebuilt on a grand scale. The height of the nave was also increased with the addition of a clerestory in the mid C14.
Fragments of C16 Flemish stained glass are incorporated into the north aisle window.
The chancel east window was installed in 1863 the inscription reads: “This window is inserted by C. L. Swainson and Harriet his wife.” It is not known who the manufacturer or designer were.
The chancel windows have double label stops carved with figures, exotic beasts and foliage.
Also in the chancel is a badly eroded medieval stone effigy of a lady c1300.Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite