Archive for July, 2011

14
Jul

Avon Dassett – St. Joseph.

   Posted by: churches    in Stratford-upon-Avon District, Warwickshire

avon dassett victorian catholic church avon dassett victorian catholic church

Completed in 1854, this Catholic Church dedicated to St. Joseph, was built in the Early English style by Pugin’s master builder George Myers.

West window - Avon Dassett  John Hardman stained glass East window - Avon Dassett  John Hardman stained glass Lady Chapel  - Annunciation and Assumption John Hardman stained glass

The church contains many early stained glass works by John Hardman. Hardman was present at the church’s opening and sang with a part of the St Chad choir from Birmingham. Both the west window contain a crucifixion scenes, and has the Virgin Mary and St John the Evangelist in the lancets to the left and right. The east window window has a central figure of Christ, within a vesica piscis, who is sat on a rainbow that is above New Jerusalem. A number of Seraphim make up the ruby red background of the mandorla. On the left the Virgin Mary is holding a lily that symbolizes the Annunciation, and in the right window St Joseph is holding a flowering rod. In the Lady Chapel the two donor figures at the bottom of the lancet windows s are St. Aloysius Gonzaga, and St Helen. This window is dedicated to Thomas Aloysius Perry and his wife Helen (who was the niece of the church’s founder Joseph Knight.

St George Avon Dassett John Hardman stained glass Avon Dassett John Hardman stained glass Avon Dassett John Hardman stained glass Avon Dassett John Hardman stained glass Avon Dassett John Hardman stained glass

THe nave windows are all dedicated to the donors, including the “Death of St Joseph” which is dedicated to the church Founder who died sixteen days after the church was opened in January 1855.

Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite PicLens

Tags: , , , , ,

4
Jul

Twycross – St. James.

   Posted by: churches    in Hinckley and Bosworth District, Leicestershire

twycross - holy trinity church Twycross - Holy Trinity church

The Twycross parish chuch of St James, dates from the 14th century with a 15th century tower. The church was restored in 1840 and presented with a number of stained glass panels that had originally come from Sainte-Chapelle in Paris, Saint-Denis near Paris, Le Mans cathederal, and Saint-Julien-du-Sault in Burgundy.

Armorial stained glass willement twycross twycross lord howe memorial Armorial stained glass willement twycross

The church was restored in the 1840s and contains architectural memorials to Lord Howe who sponsored the restoration, and early Victorian armourial stained glass, by Thomas Willement, showing the arms of Queen Adelaide with the 21 German States, and on the south side is a large window with a the arms of the Curzon family as a central piece.

Medieval french stained glass  East window - Twycross East window - Twycross Medieval french stained glass  East window - Twycross

The stained glass in the East window is early French and was originally presented to King William IV who then gave to Lord Howe.

Medieval french stained glass  East window - Twycross St Chapelle stained glass panel

Following the French Revolution French churches lost a lot of their original stained glass. Some of it was smashed, whilst other bits were sold off. The two panels above were original in Sainte-Chapelle in Paris, which lost a third of its glass.

Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite PicLens

Tags: , , ,