Archive for February, 2010
Built from coursed ironstone St. Botolph is mosty in the Decorated style with a C14 nave, chancel, porch and lower part of tower. However an earlier C12 building was once on the site as can be seen from the reused south doorway, and the chancel arch. The upper part of the tower is dated 1611.
The north transept was added in 1839, and replaced by the current north aisle by Sir G. G. Scott, who also added a bell chamber, spire, and carried out other restoration work. There are several sketches of the church showing its appearance before the later alterations.
The east window is by William Wailes and dated 1856. The font has C19 octagonal bowl and stem, but base-mould, and the chamfered step are 14th century. The pulpit alter, rails, pews, chancel stalls, and west tower screen are all from the 1875 restoration.
St. Botolph has a number of stained glass windows. In addition to the three light east window by William Wailes (1856), there is a fine “Annunciation” from 1936 (artist and studio unknown).Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite