Archive for August, 2009
The parish church of St. Leonard is mostly a C14 building with a broached spire on the west tower.
The early C14 south aisle window has Victorian stained glass and is dated 1878. The stained glass in the east window is Victorian.
The octagonal font is also C19 as are the pews, however some of the bench ends are reused C16.
The chancel contains two alabaster chest tombs. Against the south wall is the C16 effigy of Sir Michael Poulteney (d1567) in armour with helmet, crowned with a saracen’s head, and lion at his feet.
The tomb against the north chancel wall is a monument to to John Poulteney (d1637) has a plain black top and shields in strap work cartouches around the sides.Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite