Archive for April, 2010

16
Apr

Old Arley – St. Wilfred

   Posted by: churches    in North Warwickshire District, Warwickshire

St. Wilfred - Old Arley, parish church warwickshire St. Wilfred - Old Arley

Mostly built of red sandstone, this C14 church is in the decorated style, including the tower, nave and chancel. The remains of part of the north wall of the nave maybe C12 – C13.

Foot marks in roof lead 25 letter alphabet c1780

Recently the old lead on the roof was discovered to have a number of inscribed footprints, numbered, initialed and dated 1782, and a old alphabet of 25 letters.

Mid C14 effigy of priest Mid C14 effigy of priest

In the north wall of the chancel is a mid C14 effigy of a priest dressed in Mass vestment, with angels at his head, and a dog at his feet. Probably the rector at the time that the chancel was built.

Stained glass by Burlison Grylls saint Wilfred Detail east window. St. Wilfred. Old Arley

The three light east window with cusped heads surmounted by trefoils. The stained glass in this window is by Burlison & Grylls the bottom left panel depicts St. Wilfred holding a model of the church.

Early C14 stained glass Early C14 stained glass Early C14 stained glass

The north west chancel window has fragments of early C14 glass figures, including that of a tonsured monk, and a lady.

Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite PicLens

Tags: , , , , ,

14
Apr

Raunds – St. Peter.

   Posted by: churches    in East Northamptonshire District, Northamptonshire

St. Peter, Raunds St. Peter, Raunds

Rebuilt upon an earlier Norman church the current building dates from about 1225 and is constructed from the local Limestone in the Early English style. The east window is c1275 with six lights, six quatrefoiled circles, and a large octofoiled circle in the head. The broached spire was rebuilt in 1826 after having being struck by lightning.

Medieval Fiddle Player Raunds Fiddler Musician Medieval Pipe and Tabor Player Raunds Musician Medieval Harpist Raunds Musician

The tower is Early English and on its north side there are figures of a fiddler, and pipe and tabor player, whilst on the tower’s south side there is a figure playing a harp.

Rood painting Raunds Seven deadly sins, Raunds, Northamptonshire medieval painting

Above the chancel arch is a C15 painting (c1420) with two angels carrying the instruments of the passion. The Virgin Mary and St. John the Evangelist are on either side of the cross which was once a sculpture of the Crucifixion that has been lost.

On wall of the north aisle is a series of painting dating from between 1420-1450. The western most one is a depiction of the Seven Deadly Sins. This painting has Pride at the gates of Hell being speared by Death, and around her are dragons spewing forth the other sins.

Three living and the Three Dead medieval wall painting raunds northamptonshire Three living and the Three Dead medieval wall painting raunds northamptonshire

The eastern section of the north aisle has a painting (c1420-1450) of “The three living and the three dead”. This was a popular story from the end of the C13 which originated in France. The story tells of three kings who out hunting come across three corpses who tell the kings that they are their ancestors, and berate them for a life of pleasure. The earliest recording of the story in England comes from Shropshire.

Medieval painted clock face, Raunds, Northamptonshire

Between the painting of Pride and the Kings is a painting also from the same date of St. Christopher carrying the Christ child. The west wall above the archway leading to the tower has a painted clock face (c1390-1430) donated by local landowners John and Sarah Catlyn. An inscriptions asks for for prayers for their souls.

Christ appearing to St. Peter (c1981) St. Peter, the Virgin, and St. Crispen with shoes and awls (c1954) Feeding the 5,000 (c1960)

The north and south aisles have three windows by Francis Skeat dated between 1954 and 1981.

Brass monument to Jogn Tawyer and wife C13 font with rams head Brass monument c1500

The baptismal font is C13 with a protruding rams head. In the chancel are two 18 in C15 brass memorials one to John Tawyer (d1470) and wife, the other to a lady (c1500).

Detail Kempe stained glass Raunds Kempe stained glass Raunds Detail Kempe stained glass Raunds

The east window already described above contains stained glass by Kempe (c1907).

Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite PicLens

Tags: , , , , , , ,