Harborough Magna’s All Saints parish church built of coursed limestone and red sandstone retains the tower, north and south arcades, north aisle, and chancel arch from the 14th century. The chancel, and south aisle were rebuilt when the vestry and clerestory were added in the 19th century.Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite
Archive for November, 2008
The church of St. Margaret in Wolston dates from the 12th century. Rebuilt in the 14th century when the north and south aisles were added, the 15th century saw the addition of the clerestory, and the 12th century low tower was raised to include a belfry in the 17th century.
Originally a cruciform design with south and north transepts which is rare for the area.
The nave is probably from the 14th century, and clerestory being added in the 15th. The roof appears to be 17th century and consists of 5 bays. The octagonal font is from the 14th century. The basin is circular and lead lined. The pedestal is of a much later date.
Whilst the altar is modern the chancel rails are 17th century and originally from Rowington in Warwickshire. The three light window above is 17th century although the glass is victorian. The two light window is by Herbert Bryans.
The chancel was extensively repaired in 1680; and in 1760 the whole roof was decorated in colour, following the gothic tradition, with cheverons, rosettes, the initials M, IHS, carried out in red, white, blue, black, and gold. The bay above the altar has a blue background with gold stars. The sides of the beams are decorated with shields and foliage, with the date 1760 on the western wall-truss.
This piscina and triple sedilia date from the 13th century, the north aisle was added in the 14th century.Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite
The parish church of St. Peter’s Dunchurch, Warwickshire, was extensively restored in 1908. It was rebuilt in the 14th century from an earlier church and the tower was added in the 15th century. Very little remains of the earlier church except for the 13th century south wall of the chancel, piscina, and the base of the arcade pillars.
The East window is by Herbert Bryans a former student Charles Eamer Kempe. The church contains a number of memorial windows to those that fought in the 1914-1918 war. In particular is a window and plaque dedicated to Frank Robert Harbord, vicar of this parish who was killed at Ypres France on August 8th 1917.
Other memorials to those that fougt in the 1914-1918 war are to the boys and masters at Dunchurch Hall preparatory school, and to Harold John Houldsworthy 1919.Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite
Rebuilt in the Gothic Style in 1871, very little remains of the earlier church except for the lower part of the tower and south aisle which are mid 14th century church, and the south porch doorway which is an early 13th century pointed arch of two orders.
Built of coarse limestone and sandstone, the church of St. Esprit consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower, organ-chamber, and south porch.
Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite
Designed by Thomas Rickman and completed in 1837, except for the memorial east window in 1936, All Saints Stretton-on-Dunsmore remains unaltered. Built of brick and faced with stone ashlar it consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower, vestry and choir vestry.
Th church also contains a mid-sixteenth century French stained glass window in the south wall of the chancel.Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite