The parish church of St Denys in Cold Ashby, Northamptonshire, has a simple plan, consisting of a west tower, nave and chancel. There are no aisles, transepts, although there is a clerestory. The church was mostly built between the 12th and 14th centuries, of ashlar block from the local Lias stone, and was restored in the 1840s.
The Perpendicular style font has craved flower motifs on the underside of the bowl.
The vicar, Gregory Bateman, in the 19th century carried out a number of improvements in the church, including the High Victorian style Lych Gate of 1883, and the church contains a number of monuments including stained glass to him and his wife. The stained glass dedicated to him shows him preaching in the church, and welcoming the parishioners at the Lynch Gate.
There is another wall monument to Gregory Bateman, and two other late 18th century monuments, an oval monument to Elizabeth Castle and Elizabeth Markham, and another monument to Alice Wickes.
The outside south wall of the church contains a sundial and the remains of a medieval scratch dial.Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite