Glass panels from Sainte-Chapelle

Share this

The following stained glass panels were originally in La Sainte-Chapelle on the Île de la Cité in Paris. The chapel was built between 1243 and 1248 to house the relics including the crown of thorns, and the Image of Edessa, collected by King Louis IX (later St. Louis),. The chapel was attacked during the French Revolution and suffered much damage, the steeple and relics were removed, and other items including stained glass, which is considered the best in the world, sold. About a third of the stained glass at Sainte-Chapelle was lost during this period. The current building was restored between 1837 and 1868 and became a national monument in 1862.

 

These panels were presented to William IV who then gave them to Earl Howe, and were then placed in the east window of St James Twycross, by Thomas Willement, when the church was being restored in the 1840s.

 

Christ taken down from the cross, stained glass, medieval, saint-chappelle, paris

Two spies carrying grapes

The above panel tells the story of Joshua and Caleb (Numbers 13:23).

 

moses, stained glass, medieval, saint-chappelle, paris