This parish church of St Mary and St Hardulph was formerly the church of an Augustinian Priory founded early C12. Formally a fortified hilltop a monastery was established there by the C7. The first Abbot Hedda became the second bishop of Lichfield in 691. The monastery was destroyed by the Danes and not re-established until the foundation of the Augustinian Priory in early C12, the church was remodeled in the C13 with a long and wide chancel which is today's nave.
A colossal alabaster monument almost as high as the north wall. Includes a skeletal gissant at the bottom. Built in 1598 by Richard & Gabriel Royley of Burton-upon-Trent.