Lyddington

walwyn Thu, 01/21/2010 - 23:56
Share this

lyddington bede house 02

 Originally the late medieval wing of a palace belonging to the Bishops of Lincoln. By 1600 it had passed to Sir Thomas Cecil, son of Queen Elizabeth's chief minister, who converted it into an almshouse for twelve poor 'bedesmen' over 30 years old and two women (over 45), all free of lunacy, leprosy or the French pox.

 

  lyddington 33

The parish church of St. Andrews, is of an early C14 Decorated style and rebuilt in C15 in the perpendicular style. The chancel expanded in during the fourteenth century contains ceramic acoustic pots in recess high up which were intended to amplify the sound.

The chancel also features rails dated  1635 which are around all four sides of the altar. Following the Reformations churches were permitted to place the altar at the east end of the church or, as the puritans preferred, in the centre of the chancel or nave. In 1633 Archbishop Laud decreed that the altar should be at the east end and railed off from the chancel. The four sided arrangement appears to have been a compromise.

tags