exterior south view decorated style window traceryInterior facing chancel

Early C14 church with decorated style window tracery, with perpendicular piers is a Grade II* Listed Building. To the left and right of the chancel arch are plaques listing the ten commandents at the arches apex is an Agnus Dei.

C14 hexagonal font Detail C14 hexagonal fontMonument to Sir Wolstan Dixie

Much restored in the C19 the open work wooden chancel screen is victorian and richly carved donated by Mary Bowers mother of the rector Rev Percy Bowers who also donatred the alter reredos. The font is also C14 hexagonal with with shields under arches. The wall monument in the north aisle is a white sarcophagus tablet dedicated to Sir Wolstan Dixie d.1767 was made by Benjamin and Robert Shout in 1807.

In the chancel is a monument to the Rev John Dixie (d1719) with a reeclining female figure representing his sister Margaret.

East window by KempeSouth aisle window by Kempe

The undated east window is by Kempe as is the south aisle window dated (1904) in memory of Florence Georgina Holden.

statue st paul oak reredos statue st peter

The oak reredos behind the alter was donated by Mary Bowers in 1895. Behind the alter are statues of St Paul and St Peter.

Good Samaritan Supper at Emmaus

Other than the Good Samaritan window of 1856, the other stained glass windows are 20th century including the “Supper at Emmaus” in the south aisle east window.

Tags: , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, December 31st, 2021 at 11:53 pm and is filed under Hinckley and Bosworth District, Leicestershire. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed at this time.