15
Mar

Baginton – St. John the Baptist.

   Posted by: churches   in Warwick district, Warwickshire

St. John the Baptist - Baginton St. John the Baptist - Baginton
Built of red sandstone and dates from the early C13. In consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle and double north aisle. The outer north aisle is probably mid to late C13.

The bell turret and spire that rises above the east wall of the nave is probably the reason for the chancel arches, which would have been needed to support the weight. The arches are actually three narrow arches and deep enough such that there are actually east and west arches. Inside the chancel arches there are remains of C14 or C15 paintings of flowers and rosettes.

Campion monument - Baginton Bromley monument - Baginton St. John the Baptist - Baginton

There are a number of monuments including a large classical style wall monument of 1632 dedicated to Elen Campion, and others from the C18 to members of the Bromley family. There is also some early fragments of stained glass from the C15.

Brass monument to William Bagot Upper detail of William Bagot brass

The main monument however is the Bagot brass of 1407. This is dedicated to William Bagot, one of Richard II’s councilors at the time of his disposition and abdication to Henry IV.

Start Slide Show with PicLens Lite PicLens
This entry was posted on Monday, March 15th, 2010 at 8:19 pm and is filed under Warwick district, Warwickshire. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed at this time.