Medieval Stained glass at Stanford on Avon

Share this

Heraldry and members of Cave family

 

St Nicholas parish church in Stanford on Avon, Northamptonshire, contains a large amount of stained glass dating from c1330 - 1540. The early glass contains images of Saints and Bishops, whilst the later glass contains Netherlandish roundels, and images of the Cave family that were the donors.

 

Between 1987 and 1997 a comprehensive conservation programme of the windows was undertaken at Barley Studio, Dunnington, York. This work also involved some rearrangement of the windows, principally the reconstitution of the series of apostles in the chancel side windows, and consequent relocation of two figures (St Margaret and a female saint) into the east windows of the north and south aisles.