South Transept Rose Window - Evreux Cathedral

Share this

Medieval Stained Glass South Transept Windows Evreux Cathedral

 

This rose window in the south transept of Evreux Cathedral was given to the Cathedral by Louis XI of France between 1470 and 1480. It is 6.5 metres in diameter and represents the Coronation of the Virgin in Heaven. Below the rose window the lancet windows in the Gallery contain representations of eight of the Apostles.

 

Medieval Stained Glass South Transept Rose Window Evreux Cathedral

 

The rose contains some 100 panels. At the top the Virgin Mary is crowned by a dove representing the Holy Spirit. The window contains images of Saint Andrew and Peter, Mary of Cleophas and Mary Salome. Saints Margaret and Agnes, John the Evangelist, and John the Baptist amongst others. The saints in the outer circle of the rose are interspersed with an images of a Seraphim.1

 

South Transept Gallery Windows

 

In the gallery below the rose window are eight of the apostles. St James the Greater, St Peter, St Andrew, St John, St Philip, St Bartholomew, St Thomas, and St James.2