Bishop Walter de la Wyle - Salisbury Cathedral

Share this

Walter de la Wyle, medieval gothic effigy, purbeck marble

 

This much mutilated, Purbeck marble, effigy is of Bishop Walter de la Wyle at Salisbury Cathedral.

 

He became bishop of Salisbury in 1263, and was the first to have risen up from amongst the minor clergy of the cathedral. In 1263 he made a donation to the cathedral of land which allowed for the building of a largest stone vaulted cloister in England which is of great importance in the development of the English Gothic style.

 

He was allied with the bishops who supported the baron's in the Second Baron's War against Henry III, and after the defeat of Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester, at the Battle of Evesham was considered an opponent of the king. However, having paid a fine of £200 he was rehabilitated, and was at the parliament of Kenilworth in 1266.