Index of Victorian %2

Kings and Prophets

walwyn Wed, 07/20/2011 - 22:51

 

On either side of the central window in the chancel of Tewkesbury abbey are four windows of five lights. Each window has a central figure that represents one of the kings from the Old Testament and lights on either side contain images depicting a prophet. These windows are dated from 1338-1340.

 

Wailes, William

walwyn Wed, 01/27/2010 - 20:27

William Wailes (1808-1881) was born in Newcastle and originally started grocery and tea-dealing business. He studied the manufacture of stained glass in Munich in the 1830s, and by 1838 start his own company in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. In 1841 the company was making their own glass and he was employed to make glass for Augustine Welby Northmore Pugin mainly from 1842 - 1845, but produced glass for Pugin on and off up until the latter's death in 1852.

 

Holland of Warwick

walwyn Tue, 07/05/2011 - 22:01

Holland of Warwick, located on [no-glossary]St John's[/no-glossary] road Warwick were stained glass makers during the second half of the 19th century. In the 1850s they were one of the main manufacturers in the depressed town.

William Morris

walwyn Mon, 09/14/2009 - 12:28

 

St. Peter, St. Augustine, St. Catherine, Eve, the Virgin, Magdalene, and St. Agnes by William Morris.

 

 

Lady Chapel - Avon Dassett

walwyn Tue, 03/15/2011 - 20:45

 

 

John Hardman windows of 1854 depicting The Annunciation, The Assumption, and St. Stephen.

 

 

 

St Joseph - Avon Dassett

walwyn Tue, 03/15/2011 - 00:16

 

 

Stained glass by John Hardman in the church of St. Joseph Avon Dassett.

 

 

 

Nave windows - Avon Dassett

walwyn Sat, 03/19/2011 - 10:40

 

 

Six lancet windows, by Hardman and company, in the nave of St Joseph, Avon Dassett, Warwickshire.

 

 

 

Lavers, Barraud, and Westlake

walwyn Mon, 05/09/2011 - 22:38

 

Lavers, Barraud, and Westlake were part of the Victorian Gothic Revival of stained glass. Originally Nathaniel Wood Lavers and Francis Philip Barraud had worked for Powell & Sons, and Lavers started his own studio in 1855 and was Barraud joined him in 1858 as the designer.

 

 

Pages