Index of Gothic Sculpture entries.
Monuments or memorials to children in English churches were extremely rare until the late 18th and early 19th century. In the 16th century one can find the occassional child tomb amongst the aristocracy, such as that of the The Noble Impe at St Mary's Warwick, but otherwise children do not appear to have warranted memorials in their own right.
Designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1981 for the coherence of its plan, and the beauty of its three-tier interior elevation Notre-Dame d'Amiens, is the tallest completed Gothic church and largest cathedral in France. The Romanesque cathedral had been destroyed by fire in 1218, and Bishop Evrard de Fouilly employed Robert de Luzarches as the architect to build the new cathedral in the Gothic style to house the head of John the Baptist which had been bought back as a relic by Wallon de Sarton returning from Constantinople in 1206 following the 4th crusade.
Robert Curthose (d1134) effigy, of painted Irish bog oak, was made about 100 years after his death.
Characterized from the early simplicity of naturalistic figures to the late excessively enriched elegance and elaborate clothing of the figures in the later period, the subject matter of Gothic sculpture featured the mysticism of the mid to late medieval age with an emphasis on suffering and emotion.
Designated a World heritage Site by UNESCO in 1979 the Cathedral of Notre-Dame de Chartres was built from between 1145 and 1250. It's high nave is spanned by ogival pointed arches to form the vault, and the walls are supported by double flying buttresses. Chartres is the first building to have used buttresses as a structural element.
Chartres Cathedral is also unique in having retained almost all of its original 12th and 13th century stained glass.
The portal of St Anne on the right of the western façade was built in 1200 and is the earliest of the three portals to be built. The tympanum is actually dated to about 1150 and was once part of the earlier cathedral of St. Stephen whose western façade was once 40 metres to the west of the present Cathedral.
The western façade of the cathedral of Notre-Dame in Paris, with its twin towers, was built between 1200 and 1240. With its three portals containing scenes from the life of the Virgin Mary, the Last Judgment, and scenes from the life of St. Anne, it is considered one of the finest examples of early Gothic architecture.