Latest news from the BBC for Coventry & Warwickshire
The Domesday book records that there was a small Saxon church occupying this site where the current nave is. At that time the land was owned by the saxon Lord Harold of Sudeley who mainly owned land in Gloucestershire.
The present church is built of Hornton stone and dates from the early C12 through to C13, the oldest parts being the Norman doorways in the South and North.
The parish church of St Giles, Chesterton, is mostly of an early C14 Decorated style, with some remnants of an earlier C13 church. The church itself is in an isolated field some distance from the village, but near to the old Peytos mansion that was pulled down in 1802. Its isolation makes the inscription on the sundial strange, as there were hardly ever anyone around to loiter.
Built in 1632 to a design attributed to either Indigo Jones or his pupil John Stone. The design of this windmill is unique both structurally and mechanically. It is a circular structure which consists of a high open ground floor with six pillars and raking round arches, and an upper floor. There is no staircase and access to the upper floor must have been by ladder.
The machinery was modified in 1860 and last used in 1910.
The Newport Tower (Rhode Island) is a similar construction and is thought to have been modelled on this windmill.
A church has been on this site since the 13th Century but the only original part is the base of the tower, the upper part of the tower is 18th century. Most of the rest of the church was rebuilt in 1844.
The interior contains a number of 16th-18th century monuments, dedicated to the Shuckburgh family.
The church itself stands on a small rise in the deer park of Shuckburgh Hall which is a few 100 metres away. The tower contains 4 bells from the mid 17th century, three of which were made by Henry Bagley.
La companie fut fondée en 1855 par John Clayton (1827-1913) et Alfred Bell (1832-95) et continua à fabriquer des vitraux jusqu'en 1993.
Les motifs étaient d'abord fabriqués par Heaton and Butler, avec lesquels ils partageaient un atelier entre 859 et 1862. Ils ont employé Robert Turnill Bayne, un artiste Préraphaélite, en tant que décorateur. En 1862, quand Baynes s'est joint à Heaton, et Butler, Clayton et Bell ont alors commencé à fabriquer leur propres vitraux.