Shrigley & Hunt
Hudson, Shrigley and Co were originally church decorators in Lancaster. In about 1871 they employed, Arthur Hunt from Hertfordshire, who had trained as a stained glass maker with Heaton, Butler and Bayne, as the company manager. Hunt had a good business sense and within 8 years had taken over control of the company, employing talented artist like Carl Almquist and Edward Jewitt. Carl Almquist became the chief designer for the firm in 1873 and from 1879 was working mainly from their newly acquired London Studio. The company also made art tiles and developed a style of figurative stained glass work that was inspired by the Renaissance rather than the Gothic.
Whilst most of the companies work can be found in the North of England, they were one of the pre-eminent manufacturers of stained glass in the nineteenth century. The company worked with many of the major Architects of the day. The company ceased trading in 1982.