Powell & Sons, Whitefriars
Records for the Whitefriars glass factory dates back to 1720, but its was really after 1834 when James Powell (1774-1840) bought the factory as a business for his sons that the glassworks really took off. Originally unfamiliar with glass production the company experiemented with different techniques and soon developed a number of patents for glass production. Eventually as well as producing stained glass windows of their own, they also supplied glass to other stained glass companies.
In the later half of the 19th century the Powell’s became closely associated with leading architects and designers notably T G Jackson, Edward Burne-Jones, William De Morgan and James Doyle. They also provided Phillip Webb with the glass that he used for his designs for William Morris.