John Hardman and Company
By walwyn - November 9th, 2009
Originally button makers, John Hardman and Company, started an electro-plating business in 1838. In partnership with Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin they produced metalwork for St. Chad's Cathedral, Birmingham, and began to design and manufacture stained-glass windows in 1845. In the early days Pugin was the principle designer, however from 1849 John Hardman's nephew, John Hardman Powell who claimed to be Pugin's only pupil took over as the firm's chief designer.