Bishop Peter Gunning Monument - Ely Cathedral, Cambridgeshire

Share this

Bishop Peter Gunning monument

 

This monument consists of  a tomb chest upon which is  a semi reclining effigy of Bishop Peter Gunning resting on one arm.

 

Born in Kent in 1614, he defended the Royalist cause during the English Civil War. He was evicted from Clare college Cambridge in 1644 due to his Royalist sympathies and took up the post of chaplain of New College Oxford until it fell to the Parliamentarians. During the Protectorate he became tutor and chaplain to a number of Royalist families.

 

After the Restoration he resumed his church career, becoming Lady Margaret Professor of Divinity, Master of Corpus Christi College, and later that of St. John's. In 1670 he became Bishop of Chichester, and in 1675 Bishop of Ely.