Bishop Richard Mayew - Hereford Cathedral.

Share this

Tomb of Bishop Richard Mayew

 

Born in 1439 Richard Mayew was a fellow of New College Oxford, and the second president of Magdalen College Oxford occupying the position from 1480-1507. As president he commissioned, in 1492, the building of one of Oxford's most famous landmarks, the 144ft bell tower of the college. During his time at Magdalen College he is was twice visited by Henry VII, and was one of the Ambassadors Henry sent to escort Catherine of Aragon from Spain back to England for her marriage to Henry's eldest son Arthur Tudor.

 

He was appointed Bishop of Hereford in 1504 and retained that position until his death in 1516. The tomb in the South choir contains his effigy under an elaborate canopy, and with weepers around the base. The weepers represent saints and were damaged during the reformation.

 

Tomb of Bishop Richard MayewTomb of Bishop Richard MayewTomb of Bishop Richard Mayew, Tudor Weepers Saints